Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I could have...but then thought...what if...

You are out to change the world
You are not going to take anything lying down
You are going to protest the first time you see someone
- cutting down a tree
- talking about women's place being in the kitchen
- smoking in public
- asking for a bribe
- forcing child labour....

Sounds familiar? As if that 'you' is you? Or does it feel as if that 'you' was you?
How many times while growing up, while attending seminars or debates on environment, on World Health Day or in a drive towards 100% literacy, have we all thought that we will change the world? Or maybe even, that we will bring a change to the world?
How many times have we unabashedly lectured other people about not spitting in public places or not smoking in a bus, unmindful of grumpy faces or patronising or even amused looks around?

What stops us from doing that now?
What makes us say - let it be, doesn't matter, come on now, forget it.....?
What makes us brush it all away with so-called 'maturity'? Are we really that matured or is it something else?
Is it our age? Then why do we still feel young at heart and are not scared to show our love for teddies and chocolates?
Is it our image? Then, why do we consciously try to break that image?
Is it our meek acceptance of reality? Then, why do we go against the set norms in other ways?
Is it a fear of being laughed at for being too driven? Then why aren't we afraid to be said the same thing when we drive ourselves to perfection at work?

The answer is not known to me...am just thinking why....perhaps it is the complexity of life as age adds on more layers, more colours....unlike the simplicity of childhood and the passion of teenage....
Any answers?

6 Comments:

Blogger Daddy's Girl said...

Hmmm... definite food for thought.. I agree with that beautifully written last line - so much that seemed clear, black and white to us before seems gray and murky now... we've become jaded and disillusioned in certain ways. We've gotten distracted by the responsibilities and gazillion minute, mundane details of everyday modern life. We're (gasp) turning into the passive, unconcerned adults we once scorned. And it's sad, but what can we do about it?

Your posts make me think... Like I said before, it's good to have you back!

Fri Mar 16, 09:32:00 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

Thanks so much for your last line :).

We're (gasp) turning into the passive, unconcerned adults we once scorned.

Yeah...somewhat like Veronica in 'Veronica decides to die'...we don't react so much any more.

Wed Mar 21, 01:36:00 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

i agree with the statement u have made in the last comment this generation is all turning into Veronica's.... I guess we need many more Rang De Basanti's to wake us up...

food for thought indeed

Thu Mar 22, 02:52:00 AM  
Blogger Tanushree said...

Yes, that "you" was once me, is still me, once in a while.

A couple of weekends ago, we were on a team outing to Bhadrachalam and went on a river boat ride. They served us water in plastic glasses, and I slapped my teammate on the wrist when he was about to throw his glass into the river. He was puzzled and I said "it's plastic, how can you just chuck it in the river!"

A little later, we asked one of the employees on the boat, where we were supposed to throw the glasses, etc. He looked at us for a second and then pointed to the water. Well, my team and I tried hard, we held on to our glasses for a couple of hours on the ride, but then, they blew away into the river with the breeze, like all our good intentions.

I was ashamed, and chided myself for not having the foresight to carry along a bag for the trash. We wonder what difference we can make, a group of ten people in a boatload of a hundred and fifty. But I know that it would still make a difference, if I had done it. But I didn't. But it is a lesson learnt, to always carry a receptacle for my garbage on an outdoor trip. We live and learn.

Mon Mar 26, 03:51:00 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

i tagged u, check out the details at my blog :)

Thu Apr 05, 03:23:00 AM  
Blogger StageWhisperer said...

I always want(ed) to obey traffic rules but have always been scared of stopping at Red-lights. The screaming car in my rear-view mirror rushes towards me at F1-like speeds, with absolutely no intention of respecting the traffic signal. At instances like these I decide that I am better off as an alive-red-light-jumper than a dead moralist. But I still do dream of stopping at red lights some day...

Tue Sep 25, 06:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home