Thursday, October 26, 2006

You know what I did in Goa...

Warning: Some useless information follows, with rants and brags

Shillong in the first week of October, Goa in the third...I sure am travelling a lot this year. Throw in Ooty last April, that leaves me with a north-Indian destination to cover before January to brag that I have covered the 'length' and 'breadth' of the country this year, whew!
So, what do I write about the trip, my first trip to Goa? Nothing new to add except what people already know I suppose...
- that I am happy, as happy as I was in UK or US, that I am a non-vegeterian (drools) and that I am not allergic to sea food.
- that I am now as tanned as a lobster along my swimming costume lines
- that for once I was comfortable wearing short dresses as there were so many with dresses shorter than mine(so short, that they were hardly there)and no one stared at me...except for some frustrated Indian husbands and some groups of single guys, who would stare at anything.
- that we could avoid 'freaking' out and instead chose to 'laze' out...and found it as enjoyable as the former option. Must be getting real old
- that swimsuits dry best when they are still being worn, and not when hung outside your room in the balcony...
- that the best way to read books is to first take a dip and then stretch out on the sand beds to dry, with a new paperback..ahhh heaven! (Now don't ask me why i 'wasted' a holiday reading...I simply enjoyed it)...I devoured a Mary Higgins Clark thriller and still onto 'On Beauty' by Zadie Smith.
- that I know for sure how many drinks hubby had at different places during the day, but just let go, till he admitted the morning after that he did not remember anything that happened after signing the bill the night before. (And this from a guy who was vehemently assuring me after signing the bill, that he was fine, and, if left to himself, can find his way to the room on his own!)
- that, and this is a rant, Goa is pretty expensive when it comes to water sports, even simple ones like a water scooter, and tiny beach shacks which look dirty and miserable, charge a lot for the food, thanks to the high demand around.

Anyways, great holiday, and a great way to end it...that is, we literally got off the plane and auto rickshaw-ed into our new car....with the confused rickshaw driver wondering why we wanted to go to a car showroom with all the luggage once we got down from the flight...and we must have gone down as one of the legends circulating around showroom, that of 'a couple who were so crazy to own a Honda Civic that they came directly here from their Goa trip, from the airport'!!!!

To end this, here's presenting some banter about the trip (through scraps) with one of my acquaintances, simply to give you an wtf effect:

Acquaintance: How was Goa?
the usual question gets the usual answer
Me:Goa was great, though we lazed out, more than we freaked out...but we loved it.
--
A: Lazed out whr?in room or on the beaches?????????????
Attempts at being naughty? Ok then...
Me: (trying to sound neutral)Beaches and swimming pool...Goa, after all, can be quite a haven for relaxing...
--
A: I can bet on that too.Why was your hubby missing frm the seen?very busy?
Come again?
Me: (a little confused)Hubby was not missing from the scene...he was with me...why else would I write 'we' lazed out?
--
A:xcuse me u can laze out with sis too darling.u mentioned everyone xcept him so i thot he wasn't there?my god what a prompt reply for hubby darling.
Everyone? When did I do that?
Me:(a little irritated now)You seriously thought we went to goa with my sis in tow?????? Am not that old yet, neither is our marriage
--
Honestly, what was she thinking???

16 Comments:

Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Neat :)) now for some pics?

Thu Oct 26, 09:37:00 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

@Yes ma'am...coming soon:)

Thu Oct 26, 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Daddy's Girl said...

Hey, Aparna, nice post. Goa sounds divine. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Thu Oct 26, 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

goa... i love that place... its fun everytime of the year... for whatever u want to do... relax or freak out :)
upload some pics... i know i know my himalayan are still due :)

BTW congrats for the new car...

Thu Oct 26, 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger Aparna said...

@Daddy's girl: thanks...and I am slowly starting to haunt your blog - on dharmendra and bollywood.

@Monika: Yep sure, the problem is I am still with a film-camera...so got two more photos to be taken :)

Thu Oct 26, 11:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

film cameras - slrs are the best...i hate them digital ones...goa...lovely place...the pace is what sets it apart..ur drinks come in a jiffy and the food ambles along to eternity....my fav is this shack called Tony's in baga...lovely crabs...and yeaa its crawling distance from the room...H Civic..way to go...did u drive back from goa in them car ?cheers

Mon Oct 30, 01:21:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.N said...

hey aparna... howz u?

came across ur write up from a 'Goa' search on blogosphere... which beach did u hit btw- and NO partying at all???

plus the img after every post is cute - mebe i'll flick the idea ;)

Mon Oct 30, 02:55:00 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

@SA: No, we got the car, after we returned from Goa...so no such chance :)

@Hey N. thanks for dropping in...we went to our own hotel beach, which was nice and peaceful and silvery with white sands and all...and then to Vagator, which was rocky, yet the water was shallow enough to wade out far into it...and then Calangute, which we thought was too crowded...maybe that's why we missed the parties there. Ah well, if you can call two people enjoying - a party, then, yes, we did have parties :) but that's about it.

Tue Oct 31, 04:52:00 AM  
Blogger Chilla-Bong said...

Wow,a Honda Civic...that's a nice car that can go zip-zap-zoom. But be careful of Hydi Autu-wallahs. Those miyaans have a serious sense of humor and irony when it comes to driving the three-wheelers.Leaves a denting impression on the surrounding :P Now time for some pics from Goan beaches.Did you get to drink the Chasew Fenny? Tastes horrible but if you can ignore the taste, the rest is a real bliss.

Tue Oct 31, 07:00:00 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

@CB:
I swear, autowallahs are a menace and they sooo very skilled while maneuvering their vehicle.
Well, I did have cocktails made of fenny, which masked the smell and taste I suppose. :) So I graduated to local wines.

Tue Oct 31, 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Aparna said...

@SA: Sorry to miss that part, about pace and food and drink, yupe I noticed that too.
Next time we go, we'll drop in at Tony's, this time we tried 'Martin'' near our hotel, which is known to be frequented by Tendulkar...we didn't regret...but then, nowhere in Goa did we regret eating :)

Tue Oct 31, 11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, GOA is a pretty good place and I simply love the food and beaches there. I must say you must have enjoyed it thoroughly. And coming back and getting HOOOOOONDA CIIIIIVIC, WOW!!!

The post was really nice and the things what you did are exactly the things to do in GOA..

Thu Nov 02, 05:54:00 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

@Anon: Thanks!

Thu Nov 02, 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

and then.....waiting for the next post..

Fri Nov 03, 11:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twenty years back I read in Goas Newspaper:
That foreigners are coming to Goa to see white/golden sands. Whereas Indians are coming to see White/golden skin .
When I visited one of the beach the foriggners are in too small or negligible dress or small panty. She told to the guy who wastaking pics that you can see as much time you can but dont photograph .

Wed Mar 21, 03:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When i visited Goa some one asked about cabaret in Goa. at that time there was no cabaret in Goa. The reason he told is Cabaret dancers feel shy before Goans beach exposurers

Wed Mar 21, 03:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home