Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Eclipse - effects and after-effects

It all started with Tanu blogging about an eclipse.

Or maybe it all started when I watched a complete eclipse, in all its gorgeous, stunning splendour and was asked to eat while watching it, just to counteract the belief that one should not eat during an eclipse. If others are asking me if there is anythign wrong with me after eating during an eclipse, I'd say, except for a stronger belief against the illogical superstitions during eclipse, I have had no side effects. My stomach, used to the hostel food and water, has not yet complained against me for feeding it when sunny-uncle was being overshadowed (literally) by the lunar disc.

Whatever it is, the comments at the blog do suggest that there are still people who live with their minds closed, and there are some people who desperately try to justify closed minds with heavy-duty information from the internet, without looking for the implications.

The underlying fight remains the same as it is for questioning any old tradition - constant vs change, assumptions vs evidence, belief vs sheer logic and finally: blind acceptance vs thoughtful conclusions.

It depends on which side anyone is - no, not in a mere eclipse arguement, but in any arguement which questions pre-conceived notions.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanushree said...

Thank you for linking to my post. I feel so important! As it is, I am showing up on Google if you search for "tanushree Pot of gold" (lol).

As for eclipses, it may sound unbelievable that till I posted that blog entry, I used to think that all these things are "old wives tales" that have probably died out in my parents' generation. And that no thinking member of my generation could possibly believe in such claptrap! It never even occurred to me that this may be thought of at "tradition" as opposed to "Superstition" (are there ppl who understand the difference? I wonder)

Proved me wrong, that post did!

Wed Apr 12, 02:37:00 AM  
Blogger Anshuman said...

there sure were side effects of the eclipse! here they are -

1) some people blogged about it
2) some people argued over the post
3) people used google like never before and dug up details
4) best of all, we all learnt in the process

whew, too many side effects ;) :-D

Fri Apr 14, 05:50:00 AM  
Blogger Anshuman said...

can we have a post please ?

Fri Apr 28, 10:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home